6 Sisters, all with names beginning with the letter C, and our amazing Mother...showing off our projects, newly found skills, knowledge and achievements. We're just trying to keep in touch- using technology to span the distance of hundreds of miles that separate us. Sisters C- we're best friends and each other's biggest fans and support.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Firehouse Quilt...

My RS is doing an on-going service project for Firehouse Quilts. It's a great little non-profit that gives quilts to first responders to hand out all around CO. They give the blankets to children and others who endure trauma from accidents, etc. The RS projects is making a bunch of quilts to donate to Firehouse at our RS Christmas activity in December.
I finished my first firehouse quilt and finally got around to taking some "finished" photos. This is a rag quilt. I had never made one before...and I have to say I really enjoyed it! Rag quilts are done basically backwards, with the quilting completed first, then the piecing done last. I LOVED NOT having to mess with a binding. You simply sew a seam around the entire edge and then sip every 1/2 inch or so. Then the key is to wash,wash, wash to get that awesome fringe!
It feels a little funny while you're sewing a rag quilt because all the seams are on the TOP of the quilt. Overall it was fairly quick and a lot of fun to make!

I have two more started...


1 comment: